Thursday, September 8, 2011

17. Enter a 5K



If I was really an overachiever this would be "enter a marathon" but a 5K seems like a good starting point. A 5K = 3.1 miles. Twelve times around the track. Compared to 26.2 miles for a marathon a 5K seems easy...and yet, it's not *that* easy, when right now I can run less than a block before I run out of breath.


Last week I found this schedule online, which promises to get you "off the couch" and onto the 5K course in nine weeks, which is just about enough time to enter the "Clean and Scary" Halloween Run.


After one week of training I like the regimen a lot. 60 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, repeat for a total of 20 minutes, three times a week. I don't feel exhausted or too sore by the end of each session. Though running 30 straight minutes seems like it would be impossible right now, I guess the training plan will get me there if I stick to it.


I've had sore knees in the past when I go jogging, but so far my knees feel fine. Hmm, we'll see. Hopefully they will hold up.


It's nice to have a goal in mind when you exercise. Lately my fitness goal is to not allow myself to get too fat :-). A goal helps you stick to the regimen -- if I miss a session then I won't be where I need to be to run the 5K.

No comments:

Post a Comment